Friday, October 16, 2015

Who Is Your Father?

My eternal security cannot be found in my ancestry, religion or in my good works.

 

John 8:39-42  "Our father is Abraham!" they declared.

"No," Jesus replied, "for if you were really the children of Abraham, you would follow his example.  40  Instead, you are trying to kill Me because I told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham never did such a thing.  41  No, you are imitating your real father."

They replied, "We aren't illegitimate children! God Himself is our true Father."   

42  Jesus told them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on My own, but He sent Me.

Imagine standing in front of Jesus and making the claim that you are right with God because you are an ancestor of Abraham. The nerve that these guys had to say that their lineage was all that they needed to keep them from hell. Obviously they didn't know who they were talking to.

The Jews really believe that being a Jew is the only thing that God cares about. Their Rabbi always taught there people that  "Abraham sits beside the gates of hell and does not permit any wicked Israelite to go through." Jesus warns them about that false doctrine and tries to set the record straight.

The Pharisees didn't want Jesus around pointing out their sin, they were trying to kill the promise that was made to Abraham, the Messiah that they claimed they were looking for was right there!
John 5:24  Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
Eternal Security
John 5:24  Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
My eternal security cannot be found anywhere else except in the gospel. My ancestors, my religion and my good works are not going to do me any good. The gospel is the only thing that is going to make me a real child of God and allow me to have peace with God.

Are you placing your trust in baptism, sacraments or church tradition? How about morality and ethics? It is a sad thing to be deceived into thinking that you are safe when you are not. It reminds me of the people on the news that are told to evacuate their neighborhood before an approaching storm and they decide that everything is going to be okay.

True Christ followers are the only people that accept the fact that they can never be the right person, believe the right religion or have enough good works to get you in the gates of heaven. The Catholic church, the Mormons and the Latter Day Saints all try to sell us some extra theology that isn't in God's Word.

I need to love the Savior with all of my heart, exalt him as the son of God and look to him alone for salvation. My ancestors, my religion and my good works will never be the reason that I have peace with God.