Monday, May 10, 2010

Sell Your Possessions

Don't you have enough stuff already?


Matthew 19:21  Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me."

Matthew 6:24  "No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
In Jesus conversation with this rich man he brags that he has kept the last five commands of the ten commandments, he didn't realize that he was telling on himself, Jesus saw right through the man's words to the heart of the matter.

The rich man was very proud that he had treated people the right way as it is outlined in the last five commandments but the more important question was how was he treating God in light of the first five commands.

I guess this guy wasn't around the day that Jesus gave the sermon on the mount, in that sermon Jesus told the crowd that you have to decide where your loyalty is going to be, I have to decide if I am going to serve God or if I am going to be driven by the pursuit of stuff, I have to sure that I am not making my stuff into an idol.

Paul explained what our view of obtaining wealth and how to use our wealth should be:

1 Timothy 6:17-19  Teach those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which is so unreliable. Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment.  18  Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and generous to those in need, always being ready to share with others.  19  By doing this they will be storing up their treasure as a good foundation for the future so that they may experience true life.

Help me Lord to always trust in your resources rather than in the resources that I have accumulated, my resources can disappear in a flash, but yours are never ending. I pray that I will always be quick to give to those that I have the power to help.